music

Friday, February 8, 2013

MEMORIES OF KIM

Si Muang Mai Circa 2008.
 
Morning coffee is my favorite time of the day.
I do most of my productive and creative thinking during this time.The above picture is from my Thai Family's Rice farm close to the Laotian border.I was visiting during a very stressful time,as my father-in law "Boon" was dying.
Boon was a very good man,father and above all "Jai dee mak".Boon died at 6 Pm on Jan.2,2008.I was holding his hand when he went to Buddha.
It hurt,and it still does.
This brings me to "Kim".
I am now 63 years old .It has been 38 years and some very hard and difficult  times since i last
saw my friend Kim.Life is very strange at times,and the writing of this particular post is no different.
I am a part time blogger,who mostly writes about life in Thailand and my Thai family.
Thirty eight years ago,i had another family of friends.
Kim,Faith,Dave,Chuck,Tim and Fred to name just a few of them.
I will not include their last names,as it is not relevant to this post.
The fact i am even writing about Kim,is in it's self a miracle.
The "Miracle" being that my friend Faith emailed me after 30 plus years of being estranged.
I can't write this post without including Faith,as Kim and Faith were inseparable,and always will be in my mind.Faith ask me to write my memories of Kim and some other related people and events during the all to short time i  had with my friend(s).
I need to back track and give you some background on myself,as it is relevant to this story.
I was 23 years old when i met Kim,
I was at that time a professional Skier and world class "Rounder",that would be putting it kindly(Rounder).Kim was a world class Dentist(Periodontics) and associate professor at the University of Washington in Seattle Washington.
The one connecting factor in all my relationships with the above people,was Skiing and Kim.
The day i met this wonderful woman(Kim),is one i will never forget.
After a day of skiing at MT.Baker(Washington State),i stopped at the Chandelier Chalet (Bar & restaurant).hoping to get a few free drinks,and maybe a couch to crash on.
I was broke,no home,car or anything but my few belongings and Skiing equipment.
Being 23 and always on the lookout for a lady with a kind heart,car,money and lodging,well Kim was
"Manna" from heaven.
Kim was a very petite,Blond, very pretty,and had the most radiating smile.
I forgot to mention the Silver Corvette sitting in the parking lot(her Vett).
The first words Kim spoke to me were"I really like the way you Ski,can i buy you a drink"!
I just won the door prize.
My intentions were nothing more then "taking it to the wall",just the way i lived day to day.
Kim,took no time in offering me a place to crash(Seattle WA),which i readily accepted.
This is where the real story begins.
Ms.Kim and her friend Faith were way ahead of me.
I do believe after so many years of thinking about that first chance encounter with Kim,it was me who was being led down the primrose path.
I did indeed find a very nice  place to crash,pretty lady,and Faith came along with the package.
I was "Hooked" for the rest of my life.
I am not easily swayed by "Alpha Type" people,as i prefer to stay in control.
Being the big fish in the small pond was my intentions.As we all know."The best intentions" seem to go awry when we least expect it.I guess you might have noticed that the friends listed above are all "Male",and like myself they were befriended by Ms. Kim(except Chuck).Kim was the "Super Nova" of attracting admirers,who became loyal friends of both Kim & faith.
It would take me months of writing to even scratch the surface of my relationships with both Kim & Faith.
I have lost friends,family members,and close associates in my life,and "Memories" is all i have left.
I remember the great times we had skiing,dinners,parties and doing what good friends do together.
My life is better because of both Kim & Faith & other friends.
Kim died in 1975.I was 25 years old and left with a very big hole in my soul.
From the very first chance encounter with her,my life has never been the same.
When Kim left us,Faith took the leadership role of our family of friends.
I am indebted to all my past friends for their generosity,love,companionship and memories.
Faith ask me to write about my surgery and recovery.
When i said that Kim was leading me down the "Primrose Path",i was not making it up.
I was only at her home for a short period of time before she volunteered me for a full facial reconstruction at the University of Washington Dental school.
It seems they needed a willing,healthy(non-litigating) volunteer for a experimental procedure.
I was it!
I now believe that Kim "Hooked" me,knowing just what i was going to "Volunteer For".
It was impossible to say "No" to either Kim or faith(hey,i am writing this rather long post after thirty years of estrangement)..Go Figure!.I spent almost four months every week doing the pre surgery routine and work ups at the Dental school.
The day of the surgery fell on a Saturday,and Ms. Kim informed me she could not bear to watch a friend "Bleed",so she went skiing.
I on the other hand spent 11 hours on the operating table,four days in "ICU" and damn near died.
My recovery was spent on Faith's huge couch overlooking LK.Washington sipping Demerol through a small straw(it"the Demerol" was repossessed within a short period of time.
As it has been many years since that surgery,my year plus spent fully recovering from the surgery is "Foggy",but i spent time in Vancouver B.C. with Kim's Sister Susan remodeling her downstairs basement and drinking "BC Apple Cider"12% Alcohol" through a straw.
Kim & faith came to visit and go skiing at Whistler MT. during my rehab.
Skiing was the glue that kept all of us together.
Friendships our built on shared interest,and the mountains and skiing  were our main interest.
Life was fun during that short period of time(1973-1982).
Kim,was only with us a very short period of time(30 months for me)longer for Faith,but not long enough.I left Seattle and faith in 1981 for the last time,as far as my relationships with my past friends.
It is now "32" years later,Memories of Kim and Faith and my friends,still hold a special place in my heart.
Luckkyybuddha999(James A. Swan)
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment